Thank you for choosing NC State University for Fall 2021! Below you will find important information to help you plan for the start of your college career at NC State. In addition to this informaiton, please make sure you complete the New Student Checklist.
Important: All LSFY students are required to complete the placement tests, even if you anticipate AP/IB or transfer credit. If you do not complete the placement tests, you will be prevented from enrolling in fall courses until these have been completed.
Every major has different policies in regards to the placement tests and enrollment. If you have been admitted into the Life Sciences First Year program, follow ALL instructions sent by our team LifeSciencesFY@ncsu.edu. We will send all information regarding LSFY and enrollment from this email address beginning in mid May.
Who is your advisor? When you are first admitted into the program, you will communicate to all the advisors by emailing LifeSciencesFY@ncsu.edu. You will be automatically enrolled in one of our classes, LSC 103. The instructor of the section in which you are enrolled will become your advisor. After this automatic course enrollment, your specific advisor will contact you. This specific assignment will be made in late May.
- Mid May 2021 – You will receive more information from LSFY about Fall Enrollment. Check your personal and NC State email account.
- Set up your NC State email account. We will no longer email your personal email account so you will miss important information if you are not using your NC State email account instead.
- Mid May 2021 – Deadline to complete math and chemistry placement exams. You will want to check this website often for the specific deadline date. You must complete these placement exams in order to enroll.
- End of May 2021 – Be sure to complete your LSFY Enrollment Survey by NOON this day to have your Enrollment Hold lifted in time to sign up for classes.
- Beginning of June 2021* – LSFY students can sign up for Fall classes IF you have completed the LSFY Enrollment Survey and NC State math and chemistry placement tests.
- Mid July 2021 – LSFY New Student Orientation Sessions. More information will be updated here.
- August 2021 – First day of Fall classes yet to be announced
Dates may vary as we get updated information from our campus partners.
Other Items of Interest and Important Information
Many students have questions about credits that may transfer in (AP, Early College, IB, Community College credit). Many of these questions will be answered in the communications that come from the team in May and throughout the summer months. Read these communications from the team carefully. Right now, read the section in the FAQ tab that pertains to this issue.
“Yes, but I took these specific classes……” This is a very common concern and one that we address in our email communication regarding enrollment. Before reaching out to our advisors, read through the communications from the advising team, which includes an enrollment guide, which will likely answer many of your questions. After reviewing these materials, you can email the advising team at LifeSciencesFY@ncsu.edu.
As a reminder, please visit the FAQ tab too.
Learn more about planning your classes and building your schedule each semester using the Enrollment Wizard tool in MyPackPortal by watching this tutorial video.
First Year Pre-Semester Programs offered through New Student Programs – get started with connecting to NC State even before you get to campus. Find out more here.
Summer Start Program (if interested) – Please note that if you enroll in Summer Start, you will work with New Student Programs who will provide you with information about courses, programs, and placement tests. Direct summer start questions directly to New Student Programs (not to the LSFY program, which will officially start for the fall semester). You can find out more information about summer start course advising here.